Moving…

I have only moved a few times in my marriage. TWICE!!!! Once to move out of my parent’s home and into our new adventures together. That was in 1990!!! Then in 1993 we moved into our log home. It was empty at the time…and 18 years later, we have filled it with family, friends and wonderful memories! We have several adventures in being in a non-conventional home…

Waterfalls down the logs during a heavy rainstorm;

Honeybees finding their way INSIDE;

Woodpeckers mistaking our home for a tree;

Birds crashing into windows thinking there was no house and some even visiting inside;

Then there were the lizards and squirrels…

and of course, there are all the moments of the girls growing up…bikes through the house, mattress surfing down the stairs, finger painting the playhouse and everything in between!!!

But now, I sit here at my laptop, REMEMBERING the past and wondering what the future memories will be…

There has been a lot going through the month of June. Kevin has been living in Texas working at his new job at Hillside Christian Church. He has been searching and has finally found our family a house that we can call our new “home.” And just last week, he was able to fly back to Georgia to help in the details of our big move.

Me, well, I have been working my last few weeks at Stonecreek. It has been strange to think that I only have one more day as a staff person. It has been a place that has pulled me out of my shell and helped me find my true passions and gifts.

At home, it has been somewhat freeing as I have been forced to re-evaluate the reasons we have kept so many boxes and bags of stuff. And I have been asking myself the question: What things are truly important? I have cleaned out so much that we have filled a dumpster, taken three trips to Goodwill (so far), and there are two large piles of things for a quick yard sale this weekend.

As I look at this journey, I visualize…well, that is just what I do…so, here is my visual of ME!

I think of a tree (maybe a water oak-they are my favorite). I think a tree with roots that run very deep. A tree that needs to be moved to another location. But before it can move, the soil must be loosened away from the deep root system. At that point, it can be moved easily…but, leaving just enough soil to keep it from going into shock…

That has been my basement. It has been filled with the things that I would someday sort through. Things that I would one day possibly give away…but the truth is, do I truly need it? And why did I keep it this long?

Now, don’t think that I trashed and gave away EVERYTHING…cause, I didn’t! But I did remove a lot…and it has been so freeing!!! Just knowing that the things are finding a new home makes it easier. I have loved seeing other little girls enjoy the dolls and toys…just like Toy Story 3

Ahhhh…

Next week, the movers will be here packing up our living space and putting all in a big truck to head west…

My roots are out of the dirt…and I think I am ready to be “re-planted.”

…I wonder what the soil will be like?

Labels: | edit post
0 Responses